Revealing The Truth – Week 3 – The Feedings Revealed
Week 3 in our Revealing The Truth series. This week we look at the “picture” Jesus paints with the feedings of the 5000 then the 4000.
Mark 5 – Background
Mark 7 – Background
Mark 5 –
- Jesus Ministry had taken him to the “East” (across the lake – Gentiles). We see the casting out of demons and the instructions.
- Then there is a return to the Western side of the lake (Jews).
- We see the story of the healing of Jairus daughter.
Mark 6 –
- Jesus is rejected in Nazareth
- Jesus sends out the disciples two by two
- John The Baptist is beheaded – the disciples return to Jesus – the connection with John The Baptist is strong as some had served as his disciples prior to being called by Jesus.
Mark 6: 30-42
- V31 – Jesus offers the disciples to “come away” – Jesus had compassion on them.
- V33-34 – The crowds followed them – Jesus had compassion on them – begins to teach in this remote place.
- V37 – Jesus instructed the disciples “You give them something to eat”.
- The disciples looked to solve the need within something they could control – they had physical money (equivalent to $15k – $20k US) – problem was that may not be enough and then there was no place that could even supply the need.
- Jesus wasn’t interested in using a resource they had “plenty” of – he wanted something sacrificial – they had very little food with them – he wanted all of it.
- Jesus demonstrates that in His hands a sacrificial gift – fully given to Him – can be multiplied exponentially.
- In this He was also giving the Jewish crowd a visual sign that would have reminded them of many old testament stories – Elijah and more importantly Moses.
- Jesus was signifying by the 12 baskets that were collected a sign to the 12 tribes – He was the living Bread of Life.
Mark 7 –
- They head back to the “other side” (East – land of the Gentiles)
- Jesus walks on water
- Jesus and the healing ministry
- Jesus teaching the “following” pharisees on traditions/commandments/what defiles a person
- The time with the Syrophoenician woman – Mark 7:26-29. This Gentile woman understood the children = Jewish people, bread = Bread of Life which was Jesus, and the dogs = Gentiles – but her faith in Jesus led her to the answer she gave and in turn Jesus blessed her and her child.
- This feeding happens primarily in the midst of the Gentile followers. Jesus earlier days in this area had not gone unnoticed and he had generated quite a following.
- This time we see 7 baskets collected – the number of Jesus – perfection. It was a sign to show that Jesus had come not only for the tribes of Israel, but for the Gentiles as well.
- The pharisees have been traveling with Him and watching all of this, only to ask for a sign. Jesus lives out the example in front of His disciples and to us today – for those that are not truly believers (religious majority included – key is not part of the vine) there will never be a sign to satisfy. But rather than stopping the ministry we are called to, becoming discouraged, etc – Jesus leads by example to get into the boat and continue on.
Trackback from your site.